Since its launch in 2004, the Rosetta probe has crossed the paths of the asteroids Steins and Lutetia. However, its main objective is to study the comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. This meeting will take place in 2014 : as early as August, a complete mapping of the comet 67P will be realized. On November 11, the lander Philae will land on the surface of the comet and pierce several holes to study its internal composition. This mission will last only a few days. The orbiter will accompany the comet in its course towards the Sun. The onboard instruments will perform analysis of the composition of its coma and its hair.
Rendez-vous with comet 67P/Churyumov-GerasimenkoS
Scientific Responsible : C. Mazelle
The involvement of France in the ROSETTA Mission
This space mission is carried out by the European Space Agency. The CNES coordinates the activities of the probe. Nothing less than nine French laboratories, joint research units of the Universities and the CNRS, participate in this mission. Among these laboratories is the IRAP.
The involvement of IRAP in the ROSETTA Mission
IRAP is deeply involved in this mission of the European Space Agency, one of the most ambitious missions in the history of space exploration, both in the instrumental part and the scientific program : participation in the orbiter payload (design of the electronic management of the spectrometer of neutral and ionized gas ROSINA (Rosetta Orbiter Spectrometer for Ion and Neutral Analysis) , contribution to the development of the hyper-frequency sonar CONSERT and of the lander (tests of the X, alpha and protons spectrometer, APXS). More specifically, the ROSINA instrument will be responsible for determining the composition of the atmosphere and the ionosphere of the comet Churyumov–Gerasimenko, the velocities of the particles of ionized gas and the chemical reactions in which they are involved ; CONSERT (Comet Nucleus Sounding Experiment by Radiowave Transmission) will probe the interior of the comet by studying the reflection and the scattering of radio waves by the core ; APXS (Alpha X-ray Spectrometer) will determine the chemical composition of the surface of the comet nucleus. Christian Mazelle, researcher at IRAP, is co-investigator of the ROSETTA mission. The other IRAP researchers involved in this mission are : Henri Rème, Professor Emeritus of the University of Toulouse III - Paul Sabatier, Lionel d'Uston and Jean-André Sauvaud, CNRS research directors ; Jeremie Lasue, astronomer .
- ESA Web Portal : http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Science/Rosetta
- CNES Website : http://smsc.cnes.fr/ROSETTA/Fr/
- IRAP Website :
- Research > PEPS > Planetary Environments
- Press Releases :
- June 12, 2017 : Rosetta unveils the secrets of the origin of xenon
- April 10, 2017 : The "Tchouri" comet took several million years to form
- March 8, 2017 : According to the latest results of the radar CONCERT on Rosetta, comets are mainly composed of dust rich in carbonaceous material
- May 27, 2016 : Rosetta's comet contains ingredients for life
- December 2015 : Rosetta orbiter finds molecular oxygen on comet 67P among the 2015 Top 10 Space Moments
- October 15, 2015 : Prix des Sciences 2015 de l'Académie d'Occitanie remis à l'IRAP
- October 13, 2015 : Thanks to Rosetta, comet 67P / Churyumov-Gerasimenko continues to reveal its secrets
- July 130, 2015 : Tchouri proves to be ... different
- June 23, 2015 : Rosetta mission extended
- June 14, 2015 : Rosetta's lander Philae wakes up from hibernation
- June 11, 2015 : Philae was found !
- March 19, 2015 : Comet probe detects the «most wanted molecule»
- February 10, 2015 : Rosetta: where is Philae and when will he wake up?
- February 10, 2015 : How has the CONSERT instrument measured the distance of Philae and its rotation during the descent?
- January 22, 2015 : Tchouri under the eye of Rosetta
- December 10, 2014 : Rosetta : the first results of the ROSINA instrument
- November 12, 2014 : Philae successful landing!
- November 7, 2014 : CNRS, major actor in the Rosetta mission
- September 18, 2014 : "Rosetta: selection of the landing site of Philae"
- November 12, 2014 : "Philae successful landing!"
- January 20, 2014 : ROSETTA wakes up from deep space hibernation
- Press Releases (in French) : http://www.irap.omp.eu/grand-public/dossiers/presse-rosetta
- Interviews : http://www.irap.omp.eu/grand-public/interview
- Video Gallery : http://www.irap.omp.eu/grand-public/galerie-video/vieo-rosetta
- Exhibition "Extreme Explorations" at the Cité de l'Espace, Toulouse starting from April 2014
- Rosetta Blog : Living with a comet: A ROSINA team perspective