ECOLAB - UMR 5245 | CNRS - UPS Toulouse III - INP de Toulouse
118, route de Narbonne – Batiment 4R1
Avenue de l’Agrobiopole – BP 32607
Director : Jean-Luc Probst
EcoLab, the laboratory of functional ecology and environment, is at the interface of research on life, space, society and the humanities, with a mind to sustainable development. The laboratory investigates how communities and ecosystems function and interact. Its research field therefore includes the dynamics of various settings, the role of biodiversity in the functions of ecosystems, the influence of disturbance regimes on biodiversity, the dynamics and effects of pollutants, the structure and functioning models of ecosystems, and the bioremediation and restoration of natural settings.
EcoLab mainly studies how organisms/communities/ecosystems, and their interrelations, respond to external constraints. It develops finalized research projects designed to meet social expectations, such as diagnosing and assessing natural settings, defining new standards and new indicators of ecosystem health, managing biodiversity, assessing ecosystem services, and improving ecological engineering.
Research at EcoLab relies on strong industrial partnerships concerning the impact of human activities on organisms and ecosystems, and ecological engineering. EcoLab operates a joint laboratory with ARKEMA to study the ecotoxicological effects of CNT (multiwalled carbon nanotubes) on aquatic organisms.
- BIOGEOCHIM (Biogeochemistry and transfers at interfaces)
- BIOREF (Biodiversity, trophic networks and fluxes in aquatic ecosystems)
- CIRCE (Ecology of communities: interactions, interfaces and constraints)
- DYNABIO (Past and present dynamics of Earth biodiversity)
- ECSECO (Ecotoxicology and ecosystem health)
SOERE (experimental sites and observation services)
- Experimental drainage basin of Montoussé at Auradé (Gers): SOERE RBV experimental site.
- Ecosystem of the Baget drainage basin (Ariège): SOERE RBV experimental site.
- ROBE (Réseau d’Observatoires de la Biodiversité et des Écosystèmes): SOERE ECOSCOPE observatory.
- Malamani experimental site: mangrove ecosystem in Mayotte.
- Drainage basin of the Save (Gascogne).
- Middle course of the Garonne river (Toulouse-Mas d’Agenais), Malause dam, Golfech nuclear plant.
- Yangtze river and its drainage basin (wetlands and lakes): French-Chinese international research network, currently under construction.
Analytical and experimental equipment
- Analytics platforms: mass spectrometry for stable isotopes, physicochemical analyses of water (HPLC, HPLC, continuous flow colorimetry, COD analyzer, CHN analyzer, titrimetry, laser microgranulometer), ICP-OES (metal analysis), ASE extraction and analysis of organic compounds (LC-MS and GC-MS);
- Class 10,000 clean room;
- PhytoPAM fluorimeter: measurement of chlorophyll, phytoplancton composition and photosynthetic activity;
- Spectrofluorimeter: multimode microplate reader;
- Molecular biology and palynology platforms;
- Platforms for experimentation: greenhouses, phytotron, columns, photobioreactor, fungal decomposition microcosms, technological hall for experimentation in ecotoxicology, animal quarter.